Saturday, May 10, 2014

Review: Indonesia 2014 (Part 4)

Bali

Seminyak
My home base on Bali was Seminyak, just 10km west of the capital Denpasar and 5km North of Kuta (the wicked centre of Bali’s nightlife). I hit a good price for a three star hotel at Exedia.de and arrived at about 11:30 PM. The hotel (favehotel Umalas) was the perfect stay for me. Rooms are small but clean and sufficient since I anyway planned to stay less time as possible on the room. The breakfast is quite simple and for me maybe the only point that could be improved (more fresh fruits or so). Staff is mega friendly and the pool area is better than I expected. Try to get a pool view room. The hotel is located a bit outside of Seminyak and you have a wonderful view to rice fields and the "skyline" of Bali’s volcanoes in the morning.

Seminyak has a wonderful beach front with cafés and surf gear rentals. Coursed start from 350,000 rupiah for two hours and board rental from 50,000 rupiah per hour. I am quite sure you get far better bargains in other places.

I can recommend the small restaurant Mimpi selling different Indonesian dishes at fare rates. They mix them on the plate up to your choice.
It took me about 40 minutes to get here by cab from the Airport and about 1 hour back. For the trips I paid around 100,000 rupiah while the first I booked at the Airport Taxi Counter and the tour back I took a Blue Bird taxi. Be careful, time needed for the distance may vary dramatically between low season and high season (between July and September and around Christmas is high season on Bali). The taxi driver told me that it sometimes takes two or three times as long. Furthermore do not compare the time you need when you drive the same distance by scooter. You are likely a lot faster.

Kuta
Though I not came to party I decided to go checking out Kuta, Legian Street and the Poppies (Poppies I and Poppies II are streets in Kuta). I got a tip from a friend that Bamboo Corner in Kuta has good food and fare rates so that was the place I headed to. Kuta shows the party and nightlife face of Bali. It is somehow the combination of the European Mallorca and some of the Asian party places I have been to (like Koh Phi Phi and Koh Samui). Dominated by Aussies you are likely to see all sorts and shapes of people from the young and hot looking surfers to wrecked and freaky matures using the place to behave out of the box.
There are just four simple facts for me:

If you are looking for party, nightlife, beach + sun: Go to Kuta

If you look for restaurants serving local food, fusion food and food from all around the world, nice shops and boutiques and beach + sun and more or less quiet nights: Go to Seminyak

If you are looking for romance: Try to get one of the beach front hotels

If you are here to discover the island: Get one of the other hotels without beach view, you pay far less and it is never far to any beach on Bali
Ulu Watu
All the way down to the Western tip of the Bukit peninsula you find the temple of Ulu Watu enthroned on the very edge of the cliffs. 50 meters below you can see the ocean nibble on the rocks making you realize that the water will wash away this scenery some day and that you are looking at a snap-shot. I love the scenery of giant breakers hitting the cliffs. Be careful since you are not alone. A bunch of wild monkeys observing the tourists from the trees, waiting for a chance to steal lose items attached to you or your backpack. You will see monkeys stealing sun glasses and water bottles from fellow travelers and if you are not careful enough you will be one of them chasing a monkey for your Ray Ban glasses.
Bingin Beach
Just a couple of kilometers North-East of Ulu Watu I found one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to so far. Though recommended by Lonely Planet it is a) not easy to find and b) not crowded! Small restaurants are attached to the cliffs and sell simple dishes at moderate rates. Both surfers and relaxers will find their spot here.
Danau Beratan and Danau Buyan
60km North of Denpasar, on the main road to Singaraja (one of the two main roads going through the heart of the island) you will find a small highland surrounding the town of Bedugul. On both sides the plateau is limited by the crater lakes Danau Buyan in the West and Danau Beratan in the South.  The climate is chilled and humid and it seems to be the perfect climate for vegetables of all sorts. Also strawberries are very famous here and offered in small booths on the street.

Git Git Waterfall
The receptionist of the hotel told me that I should go to Git Git Waterfall to get some refreshment.
Careful: Scammers calling them self guides wait along the parking lot and offer their assistance to guide you around the area. This is extremely annoying and unnecessary. There is no guide needed to enter the area. Admission fee is 20,000 rupiah, you should not pay more. Along the 5-10 minute walk down to the waterfall you find 3-4 shops selling souvenirs and junk. Once you made it to the waterfall you will find a beautiful escape from the heat. Several natural pools invite for a swim. I first didn’t dare to get in the water but when I observed some locals getting into the pools I also took a swim.

Jatiluwih
The third UNESCO World Heritage site I visited during my Indonesia trip is one for the bucket list. As a rice lover and Asian kitchen addict I always wanted to visit a rice plantation. Though it is quite a tough trip to the area of Jatiluwih (takes about 2 hours one way by scooter), I went there two times. On the first day I hit the wrong road from Tabanan and ended up on a heavily damaged road which didn’t get better for about 10km. I almost got lost when a local girl and her brother assisted me and showed me around the area. We went all the way to a very remote Hot Spring where I took a bath in 30+ °C naturally warmed water.

If you do detours from the official roads be prepared for extremely bad road conditions which usually demand for a Jeep or a cross motorbike.
On the last day I stood up at six to go to the area again. You need to go via Tabanan and hit the right road to Penebel. Once in Penebel just follow the road signs (and make sure not to miss one). To enter the area around Jatiluwih you usually need to an admission fee (which I didn’t pay since I arrived obviously too early) of about 20,000 rupiah. The long way gets rewarded with stunning views to the rice paddies which were built and improved over centuries. You get a good picture of the water management and the daily hard work of the farmers. If you are looking for good pictures to bring home to neighbors and friends, this is the place to be. Unfortunately the sun (rising in the East) makes it hard to capture the amazing scenery. If you get there early you might be lucky and have the fully picture with all volcanoes unveiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment