Thursday, May 1, 2014

Review: Indonesia 2014 (Part 2)

From Bogor to Bandung:
I took the bus from the bus terminal in Bogor to Bandung (50,000 Rupiah). It took about 3 hours and went via Jakarta (not like I thought via Puncak Pass). Though the highway between Bogor/Jakarta/Bekasi was extremely packed, it arrived more or less on time.

Bandung
 
After I checked in I jumped into my bathing shorts and took a swim in the hotel pool. I realized that I made a good deal with the hotel for about 30€ a night since it was really good (Jayakarta Suites). I met Tom from the UK who lives in Bandung and told me it became his home. He teaches English and has been living in Bandung for almost 7 year now. My first impression of the city was horrible. Traffic comparable or even worse than in Jakarta and I couldn’t really discover the cities charme. Sometimes you got that. I decided to tick off the tourist spots and leave the town the next day.

Since I read about it a couple of times now I decided to rent a driver for a day (700,000 Rupiah). It was not a good choice, though the driver was very nice he barely spoke English (which means he didn’t speak English at all). I imagined I could just use the map and tell him where to go but this turned out to be unmanageable, so he took me to Tangkuban Prahu and the Sari Ater Hot Spring Resort in Ciater. Furthermore I took some pictures at a nearby stereotype tea plantation. Since it was very foggy in the beginning and turned into a real thunder storm at afternoon...

Tangkuban Prahu:
If you ask me, don’t go there. Don’t get me wrong, the view to the big crater (there are five in total) is amazing and it is a strange feeling to like down an active and steaming crater. It simply to commercialized. There are hundreds of merchants and hundreds of small booths selling all sort of junk. You are glad if you find a minute for your own to take pictures. In my opinion they should change this as soon as possible.

 
Sari Ater Hot Spring Resort:
I had the wonderful hot spring and river I once visited in Krabi (Thailand) in mind when I came here. Sari Ater is different. The river runs through what I would call an attraction park. On both sides of the river you find little shelters or huts to protect you from the rain while you put your legs into the hot water. For me it was far too commercialized to get a relaxing feeling. On top of that it turned out that I hit the wrong time frame of the day since just a couple of minutes later a heavy thunderstorm set in. I took shelter in the central food curt and talked with Dede, an English teacher from Bekasi. For his students I was an attraction and they could train their English skills.


From Bandung to Yogyakarta:
First I planned to take the night train from Bandung to Yogyakarta. It turned out to be quite tricky to book in advance. Usually you can buy the ticket in a standard 24/7 shop on the road (like Alfaria or Indomarket), but there seemed to be something wrong with the booking system, most likely network problems). Second option is to buy the ticket at the train station itself, but this is only possible one hour ahead which leaves a big risk that the train is fully booked. I checked Seat61.com for alternatives and tried to do the booking myself online but the site showed the night train as fully booked. I decided for Option B and took the night bus.

It is amazing how you can underestimate the size of a city you only know from the travel guide and Google Maps. For Bandung this was the case. The city is extremely big and the traffic appeared to be even worse than in Jakarta. The first two hours the night bus took to get out of the city. The total distance is 400 kilometers from Bandung to Yogyakarta and it takes about 12 hours. After 6 hours we stopped at Datuk Frima, somewhere between Tasikmalaya and Banjar. This is about 1/3 of the way. For the rest 2/3 the ride takes another 6 hours. To be honest, this ride was an adventure. The drivers deserve my full respect. The composure of darkness, risky overtaking maneuvers and the road conditions catered for a very bad sleep… Most likely I will never take such a ride again and stick to Option A, the night train. By the way, be prepared for all sorts of merchants entering the bus at various stops in Bandung itself (trying to sell food and all sort of junk).

Once I arrived in Yogyakarta I stopped by a 24/7 McDonalds to book a hotel in Jogja (short for Yogyakarta). When I arrived at 07:00 in the morning they already had a room available and I could get some sleep.
-----------------------
Links:

-Found a typing error?
-Feedback?
-Need further Info?
-All pictures shot by me.

Please
feel free to contact me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment